Monday, November 2, 2009

I Resuscitated the Radio Star


Last week I was a guest DJ on Star Radio (St Andrew's radio station) for my friend's radio show, TV Killed the Radio Star. Every Wednesday from 5 pm to 6 pm, she plays music from tv shows, including Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy, True Blood, Glee, Flight of the Concords, and several others. After her first show she invited me to join her and pick out a couple songs. I was very excited because I've never done anything like this. I also think it would be cool to get into news broadcasting if the whole PhD and professor thing doesn't span out. If I do become an International Relations professor, then I could still do analysis for news broadcasts, maybe. I would love to be one of those guest pundits who say a bunch of crap about current events because no one really fact checks those people or looks back to see if what they say is true (except for maybe Jon Stewart- especially for conservatives). Being on this show was a chance for me to get a wee bit of experience to see if I'm any good or if I enjoy it.

During the show I had a couple mishaps. The first time I started speaking, my headphones went dead, and I couldn't hear myself talking anymore. I thought the music for the next song had already started, so I stopped talking. I was still on the air, though. Good thing I didn't say what I was thinking (what the hell just happened?) because this is a family show. Later I was introducing a song I picked out, but I couldn't remember the title. I always remembered it as "The Text Message Song," but that's not the official name. I stumbled over those words for a little bit.

Hearing myself talk is also kinda weird. I don't have a true, Deep South, backwoods Mississippi accent. However, I do say certain words with an accent (like "Mississippi," which is possibly impossible to say without some kind of accent). While listening to the show again, I kept hearing myself say certain words and thought, "Oh, there's the accent."

Songs I included for the show are: "Superman" by Lazlo Bane (Scrubs), "Take a Chance on Me" by Abba (The Office- American Version), and "That's Whey I'm Sending You" by Tripod (Sideshow).

If you want to hear Star Radio, you can click here and listen to it live.

Here's a clip with some excerpts from the show- mostly just us talking and not the music:


No comments:

Post a Comment