Thursday, November 19, 2009

When the Brits say "respectable," what do they mean?


I'm annoyed with all the online dating service advertisements on facebook. Since my relationship status is "single," there is always at least one of these ads on the side of the page. I usually click the 'x' so that the ads will go away, and facebook is supposed to keep track of what I'm not interested in. Unfortunately, fb keeps putting more and more of these ads up.

Tonight I was about to remove this ad when I saw something odd. I'm not entirely accustomed the the differences between American and British English, but I don't think the word "respectable" properly describes how the girl presents herself. Back home "respectable" girls don't put pictures like that on the internet. Her shorts barely cover up her underwear, and I don't expect to see that top in church on Sunday. When I think of "respectable," I think of turtlenecks.

There's only one caveat I'd suggest: since the edges of the photo are curved, it looks like someone took the picture through a peephole. If a creepster secretly took this photo, then I could understand. She was an innocent girl in the bathroom looking in the mirror. But then that makes me wonder who is running the online dating service, and what does it mean by "good guy?" "Good guys needed to save this girl from her stalker neighbor?" I wouldn't mind being her hero, so maybe I should look into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment