Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cathedral Lights Plus HMS Pinafore


Tonight I went to a performance of HMS Pinafore and Trial by Jury with some friends, but first we stopped by the ruined cathedral. The St Andrews Festival is this weekend, so there's a bunch of events like a light show on the cathedral's walls. I believe tonight's show was about the church's history in Scotland. We didn't pay admission to go see the show, but I took a few pictures from a distance.

By the way, HMS Pinafore and Trial by Jury were awesome. I had seen HMS Pinafore about 10 years ago, but I didn't remember much. "When I Was a Lad" was hilarious, especially the lines:
Now landsmen all, whoever you may be,
If you want to rise to the top of the tree,
If your soul isn't fettered to an office stool,
Be careful to be guided by this golden rule--
Stick close to your desks and never go to sea,
And you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navee!
Whenever I think about HMS Pinafore, I think about The West Wing and Ainsley Hays. She was a staunch Republican whose office was in the basement near the furnace because the Democrats hated her. She references HMS Pinafore, and here are the clips: Pinafore 1, Pinafore 2. I also love the scene where she meets the President.

No comments:

Post a Comment