Monday, November 30, 2009

Loose. Footloose.

As a finale for St Andrews Festival, there was an outdoor 'ceilidh' (supposedly pronounced like 'kay-lee') with live music on South Street. It's very similar to a good ole' square dance with lots of spinning. I've never done this kind of dance before, but I wasn't about to not dance in it. A friend and I tried our best to figure out what was going on while ticking off the real Scots who actually knew the dances. Afterwards, there was a torch walk to a field next to the ruined castle. There we watched an odd interpretive dance which was supposed to tell the story about a cursed warrior who had to learn how to fight while fighting temptation from the 'forbidden' women. From what I saw of the dance, he didn't do so well with fighting temptation. I've seen some people call this dance "interesting," but I'd rather describe it with a more appropriate adjective like "awful." Just before we left, the warrior roundhouse kicked his ex-lover in the face. Maybe it was a story about young Chuck Norris coming of age.

I know this photo from inside the ceilidh is blurry
due to the low light and slow shutter, but at least it
shows the dance's movement. Bumping into strangers
and getting confused is apparently part of the dances...
at least it was for me.

If I didn't know anything about the torch walk
and I saw it pass by, I'd think they were going
to attack the village monster in his castle.
I love the bunny ears.

I've never seen interpretive dance,
but tonight's show wasn't
a good first impression.

St Salvator's Quad was blue tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment