Friday, November 27, 2009

The Raisin

Instead of explaining a tradition that I don't really understand, I just stole this description of The Raisin from Spiegel:

"Raisin Weekend," the crazed, carnavalesque kickoff to St. Andrew's academic year, may indeed at one time have had something to do with raisins. The origins of Raisin Weekend remain shrouded in mystery, an obscurity all too appropriate for a festival whose very tradition is rooted in mocking tradition. For a university sometimes accused of having built a reputation for stuffy poshness -- its most famous recent alumnus is Prince William -- Raisin Weekend promises the ultimate retort, styling itself as a wild, bachannalic rite of passage for baffled first-year students.

At the heart of this initiation process is the "academic family," an organ which, far from serving any scholastic purpose, functions like a cruel caricature of the "buddy systems" favored by less imaginative institutions. Each first-year student assumes for the duration of festivities the title of "academic child." He or she is then joined to both an "academic mother" and an "academic father" chosen from later years. These figures serve as their child's spiritual -- and quite often carnal -- tutors for the rest of the boozy ordeal.

The duties of the academic mother, according to a special Raisin Weekend guide written by the university's student union, begin with throwing her children a "tea party" on Sunday afternoon, with "the tea often being replaced by alcohol." Mothers are instructed to "ply (their) kids with party food, making sure they have eaten something" before everyone moves on to the father's party. Mothers are also required to dress up their children in outrageous costumes and to wrap them in "raisin strings," which are simply threads attached to some chosen object deemed both "fun" and "representative" of the child in question.

Academic fathers are charged with chaperoning their children throughout the night's parties. In return for this "paternal" stewardship, academic children are supposed to bestow gifts upon their fathers. Traditionally, children were supposed to gift their fathers with a pound of raisins, but in recent times a bottle of wine has been the custom.

In gratitude for the gift, fathers award their children with "Raisin Receipts." These are no ordinary records of transaction. Most academic fathers choose to print their receipts -- really just a scribbled latin phrase -- onto large and hulking objects. As the student union guide advises fathers, "the receipt can take any form you choose -- from an abandoned piece of furniture to a stuffed animal."

On Monday, comes the climax. Child and parent alike congregate in the quadrangle of St. Salvator's College where they then participate in the largest out-door shaving cream fight on the planet. Academic children come in costume and must bring their unwieldy "receipts" along with them.

Here's another article with more pictures.

I do not have an academic family and did not participate in the famous foam fight because I am a postgrad, and mostly undergrad freshers participate. A few postgrad friends participated, and I would have enjoyed doing a little bit if I didn't have two 5,000 word essays due this week (I just turned the last one in earlier today, hence why I waited so long to blog about The Raisin). The weekend here was crazy, though. My neighbors had a loud party Sunday afternoon in their backyard while I was finishing my first essay. Police were everywhere, too. It was cool getting to see the foam fight. I got as close as I could without getting attacked with shaving cream. Fortunately, I only got a little on my backpack. That was easy to clean up before I had to go to class.

This is the famous "PH" in front of St Salvator's Quad.
The Catholics burned Patrick Hamilton at the stake here
during the reformation.
Any student who steps on the "PH" will fail all their classes
unless they do the "May Dip" and swim in the North Sea on May 1.
The academic children were corralled in such a way that they
had to walk pass the PH and have trouble avoiding it.

The Raisin at St Salvator's Quad

You may ask yourself, "Is he wearing tight red fishnet pantyhose?"
Yes, he is.

I ran into a few postgrad friends who participated.
Because of all the foam, I didn't recognize them at first.





Gotta love the sombrero.

The guy in this picture, who I don't know, asked me to
take this picture. He was supposed to find me on
facebook so that he could get it from me, but he still
hasn't gotten in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment