Saturday, April 24, 2010

Tornado Hits Complex Chemicals Head On

I'm not sure who follows me on my blog but doesn't follow me on facebook, so those of you who are my facebook friends are probably going to get this information twice. My dad owns a chemical plant north of Tallulah, LA where my brother also works. This morning a tornado swept across LA and western MS where I grew up, and there have been exaggerated reports about what has happened to the chemical plant. It seems like the reporters from MSNBC and the Weather Channel haven't been talking to my dad about what has really happened. For instance, the port (which is next to the plant) was not completely destroyed but instead damaged. I just got done talking to my dad and brother back in the States about what has happened, and I made this facebook status update:

1/2 to 3/4 mile wide tornado hit my dad's chemical plant (Complex Chemicals near Tallulah, LA and Mississippi River) head on with no warning around 11 am (CT), and I just talked to Dad and Travis about it. Lots of national news reports exaggerate the damage: there are 3 injuries, but no one is trapped; there are no fatalities at the plant; empty chemical towers collapsed, but those full of liquids were heavy enough to withstand the wind; warehouses were torn up; a spill prevention system has made certain no chemicals have left the property; government officials are about the inspect the property to make certain they can go back in.

I'll make updates on my blog and facebook profile page when I get more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment