
As a non-divinity postgraduate student, I am officially part of "St Leonard's College," and each semester this college hosts a free fancy dinner shindig for the first 200 or so students who sign up. Last semester I was in France when we were supposed to sign up, so I couldn't get to the internet fast enough to send my email requesting a spot before all the spots were taken within the first three hours. When I got an email a little more than a week ago telling the postgrads about the spring edition of this dinner, I was determined to get a spot. We couldn't send our email requesting a spot until 8 am a week last Thursday, so I set up the email before I went to sleep. When I woke up at 8, I sat up, opened the computer, clicked 'send' at 8:01, and went back to sleep (I know I should have stayed up at this point, but I had been working on my essay until late the previous night). Of course, I got a spot.
The dinner reminded me of informals my college 'fraternity' used to have because I wore my suit and tie while eating an expensive meal. There were some differences: there was no dancing, but there was lots of free wine. The dinner was in Lower College Hall just off of St Salvator's Quad (I've posted several photos of these buildings on the blog already), and many couples have their wedding reception in this room. After a couple glasses of red wine as an aperitif, we had salad with cheese-stuffed figs wrapped in bacon, rack of lamb with steamed vegetables and roasted potatoes, cream brulée with a lemon bottom and side of shortbread cookies and strawberry topping, and finally glasses of port and coffee. I still have a hard time understanding why one of my friends who joined me at the dinner would have rather played soccer (which we can do almost any day) instead of enjoying this free meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment