
Along with the three other interns from the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies (CPCS) here, we organized a symposium called "Research Frontiers." This 3 hour event included two panels of presenters (one for professors and another for PhD candidates / postgrads) who spoke about their recent research associated with the CPCS. Naturally, the symposium could only include a sampling of the research that goes on within the Centre, but some of these researchers are very prestigious within their field, including some of our professors. My primary tasks with the event was advertisement: I made the poster (pictured above) from a photograph I took in January of the Old Course and also made a facebook event group in order to spread word about the symposium. Normally, an event like this would only have about 25 people, but we had up to 40. I'm proud of that number. The university also gave us a generous fund so that we could buy wine and snacks for those, so people were more inclined to show up anyways (but I'd still like to think the facebook group got word out).

'Peace kids' (my nickname for Peace and Conflict Studies classmates)
getting ready to learn about our professors' research,
including work on structural violence, ex-combatant
reintegration back into communities, and how the everyday
life continues in post-conflict societies.




No comments:
Post a Comment