Saturday, April 10, 2010

The correct pronunciation of "garage"

I spent yesterday afternoon visiting the Patons, whom I first met when I was 8 (well, at least those who had been born by then). I hadn't seen their house in 10 years, and a lot has changed due to renovation and add-ons (I do love their new sitting room overlooking the hills and Isle of Aaron... I need to find a place in St Andrews that has a view like that while still being inside and warm). I probably don't remember much from the barbecue we had back in 2000 except for the Elton John music playing in the background (for some reason that has been seared into my memory). My younger cousins asked me about words that are different in American English, so I kept correcting them when they said words like "garage" or "petrol station." Even after all my efforts, they still won't talk like Americans. Oh, well. Maybe next time. I did teach them the card game Egyptian Rat Screw, though.

Again, I'm making up for not taking many family photos last December:




No comments:

Post a Comment