The graduation ceremony for my Masters degree was on the morning of St Andrew's Day, November 30. Though most of Scotland does not celebrate this day as St Andrews does, it is supposed to be a national holiday just as St Patrick's Day is an Irish holiday. Last year I had attended a ceilidh in the street for the festival, which I mentioned in another blog post. This year I didn't attend all the festivities because I was already busy enough with the graduation ceremony. The ceremony itself was full of spectacle and pomp. It opened with a prayer in Latin. Next, the university president explained that according to some university charter, the graduates were supposed to be tapped on the head with a piece of John Knox's trousers. When she researched this claim in the university library, she found an original piece of cloth that had been the cap for a prominent doctor who had graduated from the university 500 years ago. In the university's tradition, she tapped each student on the head with this piece of cloth. Once the cloth touched our heads, we would turn from 'scholar' to 'master.' At this point the president would say in Latin that we had received our Masters degree. Meanwhile, a man would drape a hood over our shoulders as a symbol that we had graduated. After all the students had gone through this process, we listened as a sustainability professor talked to us about our futures and doing what we could for the world and environment. It was a rather depressing talk because she mentioned how we would have a tough time in the job market, and she reiterated that we needed 'practical hope,' the hope not in attaining what we pursue but hope in striving for our goals even if we fail. If I was a soldier preparing for battle, I would not want my general to give me this kind of speech. Then again, it was the more realistic vision. After the ceremony we paraded around St Salvator's Quad, which was freezing since most of us were dressed in suits and dresses that weren't exactly thick and warm. There was a bagpiper playing as we walked around the oldest section of the university, but we quickly left for the warmer pubs and coffee shops as soon as we had taken some photos in front of the iconic buildings. That afternoon we had a 'garden party' in a heated tent. This was my chance to say 'hello' and 'goodbye' to so many people whom I had known the previous year. The whole graduation experience was full of quick salutations to people I'm not sure when I'll see again. I'm glad I got to see everyone again and swap stories about our troubles finding work. Very few people have found stable jobs. At least I'm not the only one sending out tons of CVs without much or any response. A professor told me that I was lucky to be looking for work in the United States instead of Europe. Other than Germany, the British and mainland European economies seem to be tanking while the American economy is 'stabilizing.' Others at graduation talked about how having a Masters degree is actually hurting us because those with more education or experience aren't desirable for employers because they would have to pay us more. Still, at least I have a degree that will eventually help me, even if it is years from now.

The university president takes her place in the center
of the stage while professors stand behind her and
the men who brought in in the university scepters
bow in front of her. The six scepters are standing
on both sides of the president. I had seen one on
a regular basis at the Sunday worship services in
the university chapel. It was a silver statue of St Andrew.
on and my hood in my hand.
that she could tap us on the head. It was as if
we were being knighted but without the sword.
after receiving my diploma.



No comments:
Post a Comment