Thursday, December 2, 2010

Unexpected days in Edin-burrow

View outside my hotel window towards Princess Gardens
the morning I was supposed to leave Scotland.

The morning I was supposed to fly out of Scotland for DC, the snow was so thick outside my window that I could barely see to the other side of Princess Gardens. All the trains running north of the Firth of Forth, including those around Leuchars and St Andrews, weren't operating. The previous day we had talked about staying another day or two in St Andrews to see if the weather would clear up, so we were lucky to get out of there when we did. The train we took may have been the last train running south. At least in Edinburgh there was more we could do as we waited for the weather to clear up. I was exhausted, so I spent most of my time sitting in a cafe reading a book while Mom went window shopping. The city seemed dead since everyone who could was staying at home.

There are tons of British pronunciations that I have gotten used to hearing. Basil, garage, aluminum, and tomato are all different. I refuse to use these pronunciations, even when I get funny looks. However, I've tried to get better at pronouncing "Edinburgh" as the British pronounce it, which is almost like 'Edin-burrow.' I get awful looks whenever I accidently pronounce the 'g' in the word. It's rather odd, I think. I don't look at people funny when they say "New OrlEEns,' which sound just awful to my ears. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Edinburgh Castle in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment