Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The difference between happy snow and unhappy snow

Taking photographs in the snow is a pain because all of the extra sunlight bounces off the snow messes with the light meter. Since I don't take many photographs in the snow, I always forget how I'm supposed to adjust the camera, so I usually take a few extra snaps at different shutter speeds so that I can decide which ones I like best later. Even though I took the extra shots in these photos from my last day in St Andrews, I still had to make several adjustments in iPhoto to get the color and light right.

While I was there, the snow around St Andrews was rarely what I called 'happy snow.' This type of snow is the fluffy stuff that floats gracefully towards the ground and is soft as it lands. When I think of Christmas movies, I think of happy snow. 'Unhappy snow' is sleet, more or less. This stuff pelted and stung me in the face from the first time I arrived back to town. It's still white and stuck, so at least I could get some more cool photos from this town.

Catholic church on the Scores.

View of St Andrews from West Sands.

[Image Deleted- see http://peregrinatorphoto.blogspot.com/]

18th hole on the Old Course,

Flowers on North Street

St Andrews Castle,

[Image Deleted- see http://peregrinatorphoto.blogspot.com/]

Storm moving behind the castle.

I spent the night on this beach waiting for the May Dip,
It was the coldest night of the year for the water.

Bench where I would read scripture every night during sunset.

St Andrews Cathedral churchyard.



Unhappy snow that was pelting me in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment