Wednesday, March 31, 2010

She's not so dumb


I heard on good authority a couple weeks ago that the St Andrews Museum has a cafe with cheap coffee and unlimited refills. I love coffee, and I love going to coffeehouses to study. Since this town is so expensive, I had to look into this rumor. I went last Tuesday, which happened to be the windiest day I've yet seen in Scotland. Back home I would expect to hear thunder or tornado sirens with this kind of weather, but this country doesn't get that kind of weather. I miss thunder. My golf umbrella's metal rods broke in multiple places during the 5 minute walk from my flat to the museum. After throwing the worthless, shredded chunk into the trash- I quickly walked through the exhibitions (which are free), including a temporary one about the history of shopping in St Andrews that some friends of mine did for their museum and gallery studies project. The main exhibit had 1,000-year-old stone with drawings on the back, but no one knows what they mean. A display asked for help, which I thought was interesting. It made me look at it more to see if I was enough of a genius to decipher what historians and artists couldn't figure out. Finally, I stopped pretending to be overly interested in the museum and went into the cafe. The coffee was only about £1.20, which is freaking ridiculous for St Andrews. They did offer me a couple refills, but the museum volunteers didn't fill up my tiny cup as much as I wanted. Ideally, I would have kept the pitcher at my table like IHOP lets me do. As I read about the Congo War, I listened to American tourists who just arrived from Edinburgh ask for directions and advice from the lady at the counter. Because of the weather, these unlucky tourists were bound to miss the best parts of St Andrews, including the Old Course, West Sands, etc, etc (I've already talked about these things on my blog enough). This cafe did offer them an ideal and cheap meal to re-energize them before they ventured back into the gale-force winds and rain. Burgers were ridiculously cheap (only about a couple pounds), but I'm not sure how good they would be. I may go back soon for lunch, especially since I can't have real American burgers until September or later. As I left the museum, I rummaged through their postcards since I love sending postcards to friends back home. My favorite one is pictured on this post. The British made this poster in WWII to remind officers not to talk about top secret information in front of their girlfriends or lady-friends. I wonder what my friends in the gender studies program would think about this poster.

1 comment:

  1. I agree.
    With everything.
    Scottish weather is terrible (this is a well know fact)
    Scotland is expensive (this is not a well know fact, dammit you scots!)
    And yes, that is a funny postcard. INDEEDO.

    ReplyDelete