While visiting friends here in Mississippi, I kept hearing about all these people who had Swine Flu (note that I'm not saying "H1N1 Virus"... I've only heard people on the news say the politically correct term). When I stopped by the Foreign Language Dept at Mississippi College, they had a huge tub of sanitizer so students could clean their hands. I had dinner last Friday with two of my friends who both had Swine Flu the previous week. They seemed to be healthy enough then after being sick for only a couple days, but I thought it was really weird they actually had it. I checked the MS Department of Health's website, and there have been 838 confirmed cases and another site said there have been 4 deaths (though the last one to die was already sick... I'm not sure about the others). To be brutally honest, 1 death per 200 cases doesn't sound too deadly, especially when those who died had other problems. The CDC says Mississippi has "widespread" activity, or the highest level.
I hadn't heard of one person having Swine Flu while living in Texas this summer, so I pretty much forgot it was still around. The same CDC website said TX had "regional" activity (thought it had been "local" this summer), so apparently it's not as bad out there. I wonder if Mississippi's poverty has lead to an increase in activity.
No comments:
Post a Comment