There was a pub crawl and rave in St Andrews tonight, but I decided to be a dork and skip those events so that I could get some reading done at the library. After walking over there, I realized the library was closed. Still, walking there felt cool because the cold wind was blowing off the North Sea, I was walking past a chapel dating to the 15th and around other old buildings, I was wearing my heavy French overcoat that makes me feel European, and 18-year old "Freshers" were frolicking from pub to pub. Meanwhile, I was giving up a fun evening so that I could get work done. The whole experience made me feel like a mad researcher who just had to stay up long past midnight so that he could discover some new secret. It might sound boring, but trust me... it's cool.
I actually don't feel too antisocial because I skipped the pub crawl and rave. Around dinner time I spent a couple hours drinking wine and mingling with everyone from my flat. I've also gone on a couple pub crawls already, and there are plenty more to come. I'm actually a little tired of the pub crawls. Moreover, I think tonight's events were more for the young "Freshers" and not the Postgrads, so I would have felt awkward around all those kids.
As a graduate student you may feel a bit more grown up now.
ReplyDelete