Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sermon so good, it makes you want to torch a cathedral

When I first arrived to St Andrews, I went to a church across the street from my flat called Hope Park Church. I liked it well enough, and the people were friendly. That's where I met a woman who warned me a few days before Thanksgiving that I had to let my frozen turkey defrost for a couple days before I tried to cook it. That was some good advice because I wouldn't have bought my turkey until the day before Thanksgiving otherwise. After Christmas I started going to Holy Trinity because Hope Park was going through renovations and started meeting somewhere out of town, and I didn't want to walk out there. Holy Trinity is the most historic church still standing in St Andrews. From here John Knox preached a sermon so rousing against the Catholic Church that the congregation left and stormed the cathedral and tore it up. I read somewhere that in the church somewhere there are 'branks,' which were used back in the 1600s to slice tongues of those found guilty of blasphemy or gossip. I never saw it, but I'd like to try next time I'm in town. One of the best parts about going to church here was the choir. I'm not sure how many members were paid, but at least some of them were. It's probably the best choir I've ever heard in a Sunday church service.

I left on a Sunday to go back to Edinburgh to then go back to the United States Monday morning, and the pastor allowed me to take these photos before the morning worship service:





No comments:

Post a Comment