Sunday, September 5, 2010

Farewell to the Highlands

A while back I ran across this Robert Burns poem, "My Heart is in the Highlands." However, I only memorized the chorus' first couple lines, "Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North, the birthplace of valour, the country of worth." Several times these words popped into my head as I was in the Dufftown and surrounding area. Here is the poem's in the standard English translation:
My heart is in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart is in the Highlands a-chasing the deer,
A-chsing the wild deer and following the roe-
My heart is in the Highlands, wherever I go!

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birthplace of valour, the country of worth!
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

Farewell to the mountains high covered with snow,
Farewell to the broad valleys and green valleys below,
Farewell to the forests and wild-hanging woods,
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods!
It seems like a rather fitting poem to think of while getting ready to leave Scotland, even if I didn't spend most of my time in the technical 'Highlands.' Click here for a classical rendition of the song, and click here for a heavy metal rendition that uses some of the lyrics. The second one, which is from Grave Digger, a band I have never heard of until I googled for some appropriate videos, is kind of funny. A bunch of old rockers with gray hair and frail bodies are trying to look tough in this music video... I'm pretty sure they missed 1981 calling, asking for some clothes back just before they started filming. The first video is from Arvo Pärt, an Estonian classical composer and one of the most prominent living composers of sacred music.

Here are some photos I took on the drive through the Highlands.


[Image Deleted: see http://peregrinatorphoto.blogspot.com/]

I fell into the River Dee while trying to take this photo.


[Image Deleted: see http://peregrinatorphoto.blogspot.com/]

Heather along the side of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment