Here are a few photos from my stay in Dufftown, Scotland in the Highlands. It's quite a small town, but the hotel where we stayed, the Tannochbrae Guest House, is a lovely place to stay and a very nice restaurant where locals go to eat. It's actually more of a restaurant than a hotel. The owners are a husband and wife. The husband showed me around the scotch room, where there are over 300 bottles of scotch to try. The wife is the main chef for the restaurant while her husband brought us the food. He asks each guest what his or her favorite perfume or cologne is. "Oh, Old Spice? Well, I just happen to have a bottle of that right here. Do you mind if I spray some on your haggis? It's the perfect addition." The bottle actually holds some kind of whiskey spray that flavors the food a little more. This hotel would be a great launching pad for day trips into the surrounding Highlands. During the summers tourists can hike the surrounding hills, and there are tons of distilleries not only in Dufftown but neighboring towns. There is also an annual highland games exhibition nearby during the summer. Dufftown itself is nothing spectacular because it is such a small town, but the main draws are the distilleries and the scenery. Honestly, the hotel and its scotch room is enough of a draw.


Downtown Dufftown.
As you can see, there isn't much
to this small town, but our hotel
was just down hop skip and a
jump away from the clock tower.
The Glenfiddich Distillery is a 10 minute
walk from this tower.
malt whiskeys. It's a great place to
taste the difference between scotches
and to ask the owner about the whiskeys.
He was very helpful and answered all my questions.
Otherwise, he could make something up.
All dinner guests come here first and order their meals.
When their food is ready, they would bring their drink
into the main dinning. After dinner, I came back to
order a drink and take it into their quite sitting room.
While there, I ran into a couple Spanish girls. Since I
understand Spanish, I recognized their accent and started to
speak to them in Spanish. I told them that I hadn't spoken
Spanish in years and was afraid that I wouldn't speak
very well. The one girl told me that she wished her English
was as good as my Spanish, and she works in Britain.
this 10 year Aberlour. I also tried a
15 year Benrinnes. Some of the scotches here
are local so that it would be difficult to get
them outside Scotland.



No comments:
Post a Comment