Next to the Edinburgh Castle on the Royal Mile is The Scotch Whisky Experience. This building houses the world's largest private collection of scotch, the Diageo Claive Vidiz Collection. Diageo Claive Vidiz was an uber-rich dude kept buying more and more scotch, including some ridiculously rare collector bottles. He became famous in the scotch world before his death. A distillery on the Isle of Skye made a special whisky that they mostly gave to the heads of state, but they also gave Vidiz a bottle since he was so famous in the scotch community. In total, there are over 3,000 bottles of scotch whisky in this private collection. Vidiz originally wanted to give the collection to his two sons, but they didn't care about scotch the way he did. Therefore, he donated the collection to the The Scotch Whisky Experience on the condition that they didn't split up the collection. Now a tour of the facilities showcases a rather large room displaying the bottles.
The tour also includes an explanation of how whisky is made. I had already seen and heard how whisky is produced at the Glenfiddich distillery, but this new explanation was kinda cool. Guests get inside a barrel that rides through the room on a track. It's kind of like a roller coaster. Then a 'ghost' explains the whisky-making process while colorful displays and diagrams on the walls show what he's talking about. After this ride guests go into a room where a guide explains the different types of scotch, including those from the Lowlands, Highlands, Speyside, and Isle of Skye. There are smelling jars in front of each guest so that he or she can take note of what to taste in each type of scotch. For instance, the Isle of Skye scotch has a smoky flavor; the lowland scotch has a floral flavor. Then guests can choose one scotch they would like to try. Our options were Auchentoshan (Lowland), Glenmorangie (Highland), Tamdhu (Speyside), Ardbeg (Islay), and Bells (mix). I tried the Tamdhu because the distillery closed this previous April, and bottles from this company will become rare in time. This distillery started in 1897 after William Grant pushed for the construction of three distilleries in the Knockando parish. It was built beside a a stream that had a regular supply of fresh spring water. Almost as important, it was built beside a railway. Production waxed and waned according to the times. Production peaked in 1903 before it fell by half by 1910. It closed in 1911 and 1912 before it reopened and prospered until the Great Depression. It was closed from 1925 to 1948. Until it closed in 2010, it was one of only three distilleries in Scotland that malted 100% of its own barley on site. The single-malt whiskies produced at the distillery do not have a date on them, but they are usually 10 years old or older. The scotch has a sweet nose with fresh fruits, including melon. The mouth tastes sweet and fruity with a trace of peat. It is a medium-bodied scotch.
After going through this tasting, guests go into the collection room. Here the guide tells everyone a little bit more about scotch and the collection. Since we went during the off-season, the guide could spend more time with us and not worry about the next group coming through. That was kinda cool. For instance, he told us more about how blended scotch whiskies are made: an expert has to smell all whiskies from different distilleries that are put into the blend to make certain they are consistent. Though cheaper than single-malt whiskies, the blended ones are more common and can be very complex. The guide said that he does not shy away from drinking the blended whiskies like some scotch snobs do because they are complex and have distinct flavors that are difficult to achieve. This process of blending different scotches reminded me of how coffee companies mix different beans from various farms in order to produce the same flavor year after year.
After seeing the collection room, guests go into the bar room where they can try different scotches for a price. Those who paid for the 'gold' tour, including yours truly, get four more samples for free. I chose to try a selection that showed the difference between different cask maturations. In other words, the different casks caused the scotch to have different flavors. These scotches included BenRiach Heart of Speyside (Speyside- bourbon cask from American White Oak), Glenlivet French Oak 15 year (Speyside- cognac cask from France), Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (Highland- port cask from Portugal), and MacAllan 10 year Sherry Oak (Speyside- sherry cask from Spanish sherry casks, European Red Oak). The 'samples' were supposed to be a certain size which is about a third of a regular serving. The guide didn't really pay much attention to how much he poured, so he gave me at least one serving in each nosing glass. When he saw how much he poured, he said, "I'm glad my boss isn't in here to see how much I just poured." As I tried the four scotches, I took note of what the sheet said about them and what I actually tasted. The BenRiach Heart of Speyside has a honey and heathery nose and a light fruity taste with a nutty and oaky finish; I wrote that it was very light, almost too light, with a fruity and apple flavor. The Glenlivet French Oak 15 year has a oak, apricot and honey nose with a dry, spicy, and creamy vanilla taste; I wrote that it did have a vanilla taste. At this point in the tasting I was already feeling a bit tipsy because it was before lunch and I had an empty stomach. Also, I wasn't really pacing myself through the tastings. As I looked at the next two glasses, I wondered if I would be able to finish it all and still be able to walk straight. I know it's frowned upon, but getting tipsy in the morning is kinda fun. The Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban has a strong honey and sweet fruity nose with a soft, sweet and smooth spiciness; I wrote that this scotch was my favorite thus far. The MacAllan 10 year Sherry Oak has a rich sherry and orange nose with a strong fruitcake taste and a lingering finish; I wrote 'very good.' Then I had to stumble my way towards lunch.

Diageo Claive Vidiz Collection
aint nothin wrong with having some scotch before lunch, son!
ReplyDelete