Every time I move to a new country, I have to find out what is available to me and what I can cook. For the past month I've been cooking the same things over and over again. In other words, I've been eating a lot of chicken with either potatoes, pasta, or rice in some variation. When I went to Tesco recently, I just started exploring the aisles to see if I could cook something different for a change. What I ended up cooking was a variation of some stuff I've cooked already. The biggest difference was lamb, which I've never cooked.
Ingredients:
300g of diced lamb
70g of rice
1 red pepper diced
1/2 brown onion diced
3 garlic cloves diced
Olive oil
Butter
Salt
Directions:
Saute the onions, garlic, and pepper in olive oil. After a few minutes, add the lamb. Meanwhile, boil rice (I used boil-in-bag rice because it's so much easier even though I feel like I can do more with traditional rice). When meat and rice are done, dump rice into skillet and add butter and salt. Mix ingredients while keeping the skillet on a low heat. Serve.
Notes:
I was disappointed with this meal. The pepper didn't add as much kick as I wanted, and the dish tasted more like olive oil than anything else. If I make this meal again, I'll probably use something other than olive oil to help saute the ingredients. Maybe vegetable oil or butter? I might also leave out the red pepper or find something else that has more kick. Maybe jalapeños or something from my spice rack? Maybe I can use the juice from the jalapeños to help saute everything? I feel like I'm headed in the right direction with this meal, but I'm not quite there yet.
Here are the ingredients I started with.
I didn't know what I would actually used, so I just played
it by ear and added whatever sounded or smelled good.
I didn't use the soy sauce, worcestershire sauce,
or anything from my spice rack.
Innocent smoothies were one sale at Tesco
this week, and they're quite delicious.
I obviously didn't use this in my meal, but
it's so good that I had to mention it on my blog.
Shannon cooked a good leg of lamb. I will send that recipe. But you HAVE TO HAVE MINT JELLY WITH IT!!!!! That is a must. Rob loved it too.
ReplyDelete