1lb bag of Camellia Red Kidney Beans
½ onion chopped
4-5 garlic cloves chopped
½ jar of jalapeños
1 red bell pepper chopped
4-5 slices of salt pork
Rinse the beans. In a large bowl, soak the beans in the refrigerator overnight with the onion, garlic, jalapeños, and bell pepper. Next morning, put all the ingredients from the bowl into a Crock Pot with the salt pork. Slow cook the beans for 8 hours until the beans are soft and tender.
Serves about 5 people.
Notes: I cut the bell pepper into large pieces so that I could have the flavor without eating them. I don’t usually eat peppers, jalapeños, or onions, but I use them to flavor the beans because bland beans are a waste. I would rather have too much spice than not enough because I can cut the spice with rice or something like that.
Origins: After watching my brother-in-law, Ryan, cook beans with a Crock Pot, I decided to make some alterations and add more spices. This is what I came up with.
Here's a picture of everything
in the bowl the before I refrigerated
it overnight.
After 8 hours in the Crock Pot, everything
was tender and tasty
No comments:
Post a Comment