Friday, August 27, 2010

Beanscene Music Discovery: Vietnam, Fishing Trips, Italian Opera

In a previous post I mentioned that I've spent a lot of time in Beanscene while working on the dissertation. Not only does the regular hustle and bustle typical in coffee shops give me the energy to keep writing, but the music is usually good. From time to time, a couple baristas plug their iPods into the sound system in order to play music they like and not the crap the corporate owners force them to play. I've begun to pay more attention to the music I hear on tv and in stores ever since I did a radio show last year that specialized in music from tv shows (TV Killed the Radio Star: for audio clips of these shows, click these links for my first appearance & the Canada show). I think this new habit will help me find more music I like, especially since I don't listen to the radio anymore. As I sat in Beanscene and did my research, I occasionally liked the songs I heard since the baristas have a good taste in music. I would then jot down a few of the lyrics in my notes so that I would remember the song. When I got home, I searched online for the lyrics to find the song's title and artist. Youtube lets me listen to the entire song usually, albeit illegally. I've made this post in order to share what I've discovered.

Cold War Kids - Hospital Beds


I've already discovered Cold War Kids, but I haven't listened to a lot of their music. Some of their songs can get repetitive, but I still like them. I gave the barista some kudos when I realized she was playing Cold War Kids, and I was impressed that she had seen them in concert. I love the imagery and story from this song; the lyrics give specific description of what is going on in the hospital like nurses fussing. It also describes the monotonous life in a hospital. The line "Vietnam, fishing trips, Italian opera" confused me for a while. First off, I didn't realize what the guy was singing. I thought he said "fish and chips," but that's probably because I've spent too much time in Britain. I had to google the lyrics to find out what was going on. Almost everyone agrees that 'Vietnam' is a reference to the Vietnam War. That actually wasn't my first thought. I have probably spent too much time overseas and know too many people my age who have actually been to Vietnam, so I don't think of 'Vietnam' only as a war. However, in this song it probably does reference the war since the artists are Americans. Some others suggested that the two guys in the hospital beds were Vietnam war vets. I disagree. This assertion would then suggest that they have been to operas in Italy. However, I think that the lines symbolize three general events that happen in life. 'Vietnam' represents the bad stuff that happens, so it still alludes to the war. 'Fishing trips' represents the fun times in life. 'Italian opera' represents life's dramas that aren't necessarily bad but not necessarily good.

Paolo Nutini - Candy


Bright Eyes - Another Traveling Song


Wolfmother - Vagabond


I actually first heard "Vagabond" while watching to 500 Days of Summer, and I took note of it then. When I heard it in Beanscene, I asked one of the baristas who sang this song because I recognized it. Once she told me the entire playlist came from this movie, I understood why the song sounded familiar. I really like "Vagabond," but I don't like the long ending that seems to drone on forever.

The baristas who selected this music in Beanscene have just started a new music quiz on Sunday nights at 9 pm for anyone who is still in St Andrews and gets the chance to go. I looked at the questions on the first night, but I didn't know any of the answers. I would have love to go regularly, but alas I couldn't stay in St Andrews. I've never actually done a music quiz, but I'd probably suck at it because I hardly know any trivia about artists or pop culture. I should do a history or geography quiz, but then again I never contributed much to the pub quizzes at Drouthy Neebors this past year. I just need to find my niche somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment