In a recent post, I talked about how a group of us have started to learn parkour. This form of exercise has actually been good for me because I hurt my knee about a month ago and haven't been able to run as much. I actually hurt my knee because I played soccer, which required me to move and turn my leg in ways running doesn't require. Running requires a constant motion, and a friend told me this wears down the cartilage so that other motions become painful. Cross training helps build up the muscle around the knee to prevent future injuries. For now, running doesn't actually hurt, and I don't really feel the pain unless I'm walking up and down stairs. I've had this problem about a year go. Stretching, resting, and cross training is the only real solution. Though parkour does require a lot of jumping and thus leg muscles, it doesn't hurt my knee, but I'm still careful as I do parkour to make certain I don't hurt the knee more. As I've done parkour, my knee has begun to feel better. I still wanted to do some exercise so that my legs wouldn't get stiff. Perhaps some of my readers have different ideas about how to deal with a problematic knee, but my techniques are particular to what I've learned about my body.
[Though I started this blog post in August, I am only finishing it in September; ergo, my knee has healed. Some parkour exercises did help, but I'll talk about that in another post]
In this latest video, a friend of mine challenged me to jump over a wall:
I could have made a third attempt at the wall, but my arms were already too sore. After watching the video again, I understand what I did wrong (my foot was going parallel against the wall instead of perpendicular so that I lost my feet couldn't push against the wall). Now that I know what I did wrong, I can take another go at it later.
No comments:
Post a Comment