Thursday, July 22, 2010

British Open: Mister Hot Pants

I was watching the British Open last Friday afternoon (Day 2 of competition) on BBC.com because I really wanted to see Tiger Woods. I had just barely missed seeing him the previous Thursday when I went to the first day of competition. I knew that the area around the 18th hole would get crowded when Tiger finally came around, so I wanted to get out there early and find a good spot. When Tiger made it to the 9th hole, I decided I needed to go ahead just to make certain I wouldn't miss him. Besides, it was at a point in the day when I wasn't going to do any more work on my dissertation. I might as well take a break to see the Open. When I got out there, I knew that it would be hard for me to see anything or take pictures if I didn't get elevated somehow. Ergo, I stood on the wall in front of the private golf club. Once I got out there, I realized that a round of golf on the Old Course takes about 4 hours, so I was about an hour or so too early. Nevertheless, I decided to stay until I had seen Tiger. In the process, I saw a bunch of other golfers and took over 500 photographs. Unfortunately, I don't have a zoom, so some of the photos are heavily cropped and a little fuzzy. Oh, well. I'll just say that's part of their charm. Here's a sampling of what I have:

Yours truly standing on the wall where I could
see better and take better pictures.

Mister Hot Pants- John Daly- in the flesh.
I was glad to see him because I had heard
about him when I googled about crazy-looking
golf pants a couple months earlier.
I heard that he was all the craze in the US
and the main story from the British Open
even though his game wasn't as spectacular
as his pants.

This is either Laird, Faldo, or Kjeldsen.
I guess it doesn't really mater because
none of those players did very well.
I strongly doubt they made the cut.

McGowan sinks a putt. Is he famous
or good? I don't really know.

Schwartzel walking down the 18th fairway.
I have no idea who this cat is.

This was rather humorous to watch.
Watney and Allenby had their balls
land next to each other when they
teed off. Here they are figuring out
what to do next.

Dude is telling us to shut up while
Watney makes his putt.

Everyone waits to see if Allenby can make
the putt or not.

It was getting rather late, and the sun was beginning
to set. Earlier in the day a 40 mph winds forced the
players to stop for a couple hours and thus lose valuable playing time.
Now there were rumors that the other players,
including Tiger, might have to stop playing for the
night and finish this round first thing in the morning.
I was getting worried.

Watching golfers putt on the 18th hole over and over again was actually a lot more fun than it sounds. I'm glad I took this break from reading. This is, after all, a once in a lifetime experience.

So would I get to see Tiger play? Would the golfers have to quit due to the sunset? You'll have to stay tuned to find out.

One final note, I realized today that last Tuesday (July 20) was the 1 year anniversary of my first blog post. In the past year I've done 161 posts, or one post ever 2.3 days. Sometimes I did more than one post in a day, but I think that's rather good for my first year of blogging. Now, I'm not sure how many people actually read this stuff, but I am surprised sometimes when a friend comes up and says, "Hey, I was reading your blog and thought...". I always find that kinda cool.

Check in later to see more British Open photographs and maybe a video.

No comments:

Post a Comment