On the last day of competition at the British Open, a friend of mine wanted to get autographs from the golfers even though neither one of us knew much about golf. A couple times she said something that made me think that she knew what was actually going on, but then she told me she had only watched about 30 minutes of the Open on BBC and remembered a couple names. I wasn't as impressed anymore. Anyhow, we stood outside the gated section next to the club house where the fancy hybrid Lexus SUVs would drop off the players a few minutes before their tee time. We didn't actually know who any of the golfers were. Some random dude could come up to sign her hat, and we wouldn't know the difference. I even thought about going around the corner, slipping some guy a few quid (fancy British word for 'pound', kinda like the American 'buck') to go up to my friend, act famous, and sign the hat.
While standing there, I kept my camera in my bag because I wasn't thinking straight. I looked up and saw a dude in a red shirt. "That looks like Tiger Woods," I thought to myself. I looked around some more and then it hit me, "Shit. That is Tiger Woods." I was a lot closer to him at this moment than when I saw him on the 18th the previous Friday. I whipped out my camera as quickly as I could and snapped a bunch of photos before I could even adjust the shutter speed and aperture. At this point forward I decided to keep the camera out just in case I saw anyone else famous.
Problem is, I don't know who's famous. Everyone else around me knew who was famous and would call out their names as they walked past us. I didn't have a clue. Whenever I saw others take photos of guys who looked like golfers, I took photos of them. I may have inadvertently taken a few photos of unsuspecting golfers' families pulling up to the clubhouse with their baby carriages. Or maybe I took a bunch of photos of caddies who looked like golfers to me. I don't know. A couple times I turned to the dude working the gate to ask, "Is that guy famous? How about that guy?" At one point he looked at me with shock, "He's so-and-so! He's ranked in second place right now!" Too bad I don't remember the name.
So here's my task for my readers: can you tell me if any of the following photos are of famous golfers or not? Leave a comment with your answers. Obviously, the first one is Tiger. That's a given. As for the rest, I don't know who they are.

Photo 1: Obviously Tiger.
Apparently, that's his favorite red shirt
that he always wears on the last day of competition.
Maybe he's just friendly and likes to wave.
A bunch of people were asking for his autograph.
He doesn't look too happy.
the SUV is a caddy. The other dude might
be a famous golfer.

Photo 6: I'm pretty sure this guy is famous.
So what's the verdict? Are any of these people famous? Unfortunately, we didn't get any autographs even though we waited for a while. The guy working the gate told us that the golfers don't usually like to sign autographs before they play a round because they're trying to focus on the game instead. Sometimes, if they do well that day, they'll feel jolly and come back out and sign a few autographs before getting in the cars to go back to their hotel. He told us to come back in a few hours and try our luck then. We didn't. Oh, well.




No comments:
Post a Comment