
I didn't grow up in an area that dealt with a lot of flooding. Since we lived on top of a hill in Vicksburg far away from the river, my parents always told me that if our house flooded a lot of other people would be in trouble too. I had heard about flooding in and around Houston, but I never realized how easily the city could flood until a little more than a week ago. When I had left my sister's house that Friday morning, the tropical storm rain had already started. There were a few puddles gathering in the streets, but I figured it wasn't that big of a deal. A couple hours later when I started to drive home, I noticed only a few cars were driving in the slow lane next to the curb. I got in this lane to pass everyone, but then I realized why no one was in this lane. All the rain water that couldn't drain fast enough was gathering on the edges of the road so that the small puddles were actually quite large. Luckily, I was high off the ground in the SUV, but the water would have probably been higher than my door if I had been in my Dodge Intrepid. Driving carefully and avoiding the large puddles, I eventually made it home. Later that afternoon I watched out my sister's window as the puddles in her street eventually covered a rather large section of the street and intersection. I took this photo to show how high the water got. This water isn't from an overflowing creek or bayou. It's simply rain water that couldn't drain fast enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment