Monday, February 22, 2010

Why do the Welsh look like pansies?

One of Scotland's good plays in this rugby match.
Gareth Cooper and James Hook couldn't hold onto
John Barclay, who scored the game's opening try (equivalent to a TD).
They double-teamed him but still couldn't stop this dude.
www.rbs6nations.com

A little more than a week ago (on Feb 13- yes, I know I'm late making these posts), I went to The Rule (a pub on South St) to watch Scotland play Wales in the 6 Nations tournament. This is a rugby tournament every February and March between England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland, and Wales. Apparently, Scotland isn't very good, but they play their hearts out in these games because they have nothing to lose. On this particular Saturday, Scotland was doing really well in the first half with a descent lead. Wales just didn't look like they wanted to play. The pub was packed with all the jolly Scottish fans starring a huge screen, and the patriotism was contagious. There was only one Wales fan in the crowd who was willing to cheer. A friend sitting next to me was cheering for Wales because he had a bunch of Welsh players on his fantasy rugby team, but he tried his best to be quiet. However, Scotland's luck changed dramatically in the 2nd half, and the Scottish fans became more somber as Wales scored over and over again. It finally came down to the final Welsh drive when they finally took the lead. I would have liked Scotland winning so that the pub would have been more exciting, but I still enjoyed learning about the game. I had seen rugby when I lived in France, but my friends who actually play rugby explained all the rules, strategy, and intricacies so that I had a better idea of what was going on this time.

One thing in particular confused me: why were the Welsh fans in the stands dressed like yellow flowers?

Welsh fans celebrate victory over Scotland.
Scott Heppell. AP.

Nothing says "intimidation" like pansy-looking costumes, right? I asked my rugby friend, and he explained that each of the 6 nations have a flower. Wales has the daffodil, which is a symbol of vanity according to Greek myths about Narcissus. Therefore, the fans wore these silly hats to support their team. I'm used to seeing fans dress up as Vikings, bears, and tigers or paint their bodies black and gold to support their team. I've never seen anyone dress like a flower. At least Scotland has an awesome flower: the thistle. It's a prickly flower that stings, so it is a symbol of defense. As far as flowers go, that's a cool one. But the daffodil?

No comments:

Post a Comment