
Jeb Jacobson
Getty Images
This past Sunday I joined a bunch of friends at DRA (university-owned apartments on the outskirts of town- about a twenty minute walk from anywhere in St Andrews) to watch the Super Bowl there. The apartment complex has a large bar with two large flat-screen tvs near the front entrance, and we had to watch the game here because the game didn't start until 11:30 here when all the pubs close at 11 or midnight. Most everyone in this bar was American, but some friends came along even though they didn't understand or respect the game. For a good part of the game I sat next to an Irish friend who studied at UT Austin and learned to love the sport there, and we pretty much analyzed every play. I am quite confident I annoyed everyone in the bar, even on the mundane plays when I shouted at the tv. Of course, everyone else cheering for the right team was standing and yelling during the Tracy Porter interception.
Having grown up in Mississippi, I had a soft spot for the New Orleans Saints, but they were of course the "Aint's." We wanted them to win, but we didn't have great expectations. Because my grandparents grew up in Pittsburgh, I also cheered for the Steelers, and I had more opportunities to cheer for them since they were in the playoffs more often. It seems like a good combination because the Saints and Steelers don't play each other often. I honestly do the same thing with college football when I support the Ole Miss Rebels and Texas Longhorns. I have no family connection to or history with Ole Miss and hadn't been to Oxford until after I graduated from college. At least with the Longhorns I'm very familiar with Austin and have family who has been to school there. But I do have a soft spot for the Rebels, and I would like to see them win a National Championship. That seems unlikely now, but 5 years ago the Saints probably had the same chances of winning the Super Bowl.
Classmates watching the game

No comments:
Post a Comment