Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Now that exams are over

Yesterday I finished my second of two exams. Both were three hours long and involved three questions/essays. The professor in charge of the program told us that next year they'll have more papers and not an exam because it's a little silly to have exams for Masters level programs. As a break today, I walked to the castle where I could sit on benches overlooking the North Sea and read a non-International Relations book (Pride & Prejudice & Zombies). I probably spent more time taking photographs, though.

The Bishop's Castle of St Andrews was a palace,
workshop, prison, and fortress. The original one
was destroyed in the "Wars of Independence."
The buildings visible today date from 1400 - 1560.
The castle was at the forefront of the Reformation
in Scotland. The Protestant George Wishart was burned
at the stake just in front of the castle, and his captor,
Cardinal Beaton was later murdered.
There is now a "GW" in the street where Wishart
was martyred. Following Beaton's murder, the castle
was besieged in 1546 - 47 with Protestants trapped inside.
During the siege, the attackers tried to dig a mine
into the castle, but the Protestants dug a countermine
and broke into the attacking tunnel and stopped
the advance. Today visitors can go into this mine.


Castle Sands




In the distance is the iconic St Andrews pier.
Every Sunday after church services, students
will dress in traditional red graduation
gowns and walk along the pier.

The cathedral was destroyed
during the reformation, but it
was the largest cathedral in Scotland
and very important for the Catholic
influence here. Having a direct
connection to the Vatican allowed
Scotland to bypass England politically.

1 comment:

  1. Hola Mark! ¿Qué tal todo?

    I came across your blog not too long ago. I didn't know that you were studying at St. Andrews...I'm pretty jealous that you're there. I'm ready to get out of the country again.

    Also, my sister recently read Pride & Prejudice & Zombies and loved it. She told me that zombies make everything better.

    Great pictures, too. ¡Qué te diviertas en Escocia!

    ReplyDelete