I haven't been updating my blog since Christmas, so I'm going to catch up before I fly back to Scotland tomorrow.
After spending a week in Houston, I flew to the Mississippi gulf coast a few days before Christmas. While here, I spent an afternoon with a good friend I hadn't seen for months. He shall remain unnamed because he's a man-of-the-cloth for an organization which does not smile fondly on alcohol consumption, and we went to a bar. The place wasn't too crowded or loud, so we swapped stories freely without interruption. However, there was one character at the end of the bar. I had not heard a redneck Mississippi accent since I left for Texas last May, but his twang was so strong it seemed comical and unrealistic. He was in his forties, had a beer gut, and wore jeans muddy from work. Even though we were in a restaurant, he did not sit in the respectable section where families and couples ate. Instead, he chose to eat his burger and fries at the bar while his 10-year old son ran around the room. When the son ran to the bathroom, the intoxicated father yelled angrily, "Boy, what are you doing?" *pause* "Tie your shoes." At this point my friend chuckled and suggested the son needed other life lessons. Later the father said, "I would've kicked his ass. Why didn't you?" Just before I left, he yelled and chased his son around the bar with a barstool. I usually didn't go to bars while in Mississippi, and this scene made me realize I wasn't in Europe anymore.
I went to this bar because it served Lazy Magnolia, which is Mississippi's only legit brewery. The company has only been around for 6 years, but their Southern Pecan is one of my favorite American beers. This brown ale is made from roasted pecans so that it has a nutty and caramel taste. It won Bronze in the 2006 World Beer Cup. Brewed in Kiln, these beers are only served in AL, FL, LA, MS, and TN.
Yumminess in a bottle.

No comments:
Post a Comment