Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Five Dudes Brew

Jack- one of my boys in Clinton, MS- has been making some homemade booze since I left for Scotland. While passing through the Jackson area last week, I stopped by his place for a quick chat and casually mentioned I'd like to try his beer. He gave me three different kinds for me to drink later. I've never had homemade beer, and I was honestly a little cautious. I've heard bad stories about nasty homemade beer going wrong, and Jack mentioned that he hadn't tried all the beers yet. He gave me an exhausted list of instructions about how to pour the beer: I needed to pour the first 3/4 into the glass at a right angle, swirl the rest in the bottle, and then pour the rest. When I tried it, I noticed little white chunks settling at the bottom of my glass. That was weird. I didn't drink that part, but allegedly it's non-lethal.

I was pleasantly surprised. I don't remember all the names of the beers, and I only had a chance to try the darker brews before leaving Jackson. Joe, an old roommate I stayed with over New Years, tried the beer with me. We came up with this description for our favorite beer (I'll figure out the name later and update this post): amber ale, nutty, black currant, sits on edge of tongue, strong start but smoothes out so it's not overbearing, a slight cheery aftertaste that quickly leaves for a stronger woody aftertaste (Joe chose the word 'woody,' not me). I liked how the flavor was strong at first but then smoothed out. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but it was cool.

Jack promised to make a "Classy Melton" brew before I'm stateside again. It'll be the professor's choice and perfect with a cigar.

If you're in the Jackson area, give Five Dudes Brew a try.

Joe taking a sip

Yours truly with a cup of 5 Dudes Brew

1 comment:

  1. heck yesss!!!! five dudes brew goes global! we havent named the beer you enjoyed yet, but its a brown ale similar to a newcastle (only brewed a little different). and yes, all of the subtleties you taste in our beer are intentional! we take care of our beer like we take care of our women - with a lot of love and tenderness!

    ReplyDelete