Sunday, July 26, 2009

Stuffed Lions and Polka Dots


After Contador won the Tour de France Sunday, I saw this picture and wondered, "Why is the dude holding a stuffed lion?" After some quick research, I found a French travel website that said:

Each day, the cyclist who’s in the lead overall and gets awarded the yellow jersey for that day also gets a lion stuffed animal as part of his prize. Why? The sponsor of the yellow jersey is the French bank, Credit Lyonnaise. Get it? Lyonnaise - lion

Congratulations! You've worked hard your whole cycling career
to win this prestigious race. Now, here's what you've won:
a stuffed animal.
You could have won the same thing at the Mississippi State Fair.

The same website said the Polka Dot Jersey is given to the "the rider who has performed the best over the classified climbs each day; this rider is also called the 'King of the Mountains.'" I found more information on wikipedia.

That might explain why the girls are wearing polka dots in this picture:

The girl on the left seems to be thinking, "Seriously?
What am I doing here? How did I end up underneath
his armpit?"

That brings up another question: why are there even girls on the podium? These guys have been riding bikes all day and smell bad. After I've been riding my bike, there aren't any girls in yellow or polka dot dresses giving me a kiss on the cheek. I'm pretty sure a man had to come up with this idea.

Apparently, the girls in yellow dresses are models for Credit Lyonnaise while the polka dot girls work for Carrefour, a French supermarket like Wal-Mart.

That bow in her hair is
quite large and unnecessary

No comments:

Post a Comment