Thursday, June 2, 2011

CNN or Onion?

Example of Onion.com mockery of news/culture.

Last fall, a friend of mine said, “Every day, CNN.com and Onion.com look more alike to me.” It got me thinking, and I decided to see for myself if articles on CNN.com really did look like they were from the Onion.com. I was surprised when the titles really did seem similar, especially when CNN did fluff pieces that were assumedly published to get higher readership numbers. Therefore, I created a game “CNN or Onion.” I would give friends a list of actual article titles, and they would have to say whether the article was from CNN or the fake-news Onion. It’s actually a much harder game than I first anticipated. Of course, I could probably play the same game with FoxNews or MSNBC, but I follow CNN and wish it would run more serious news stories and not get drawn into a ratings war with the partisan news networks (i.e.- talk more about unemployment than about Sarah Palin’s bus tour).

So, here is my first round of my new favorite game. Can you guess which articles came from CNN and which came from Onion? Here’s a hint: 11 are from CNN, 9 are from Onion.

1) Zuckerberg Kills What He Eats. Should you?

2) Kirk Cameron: Dead Birds Aren't the End of the World

3) U.S. Economy Continues Campaigning for Barack Obama

4) Witches, Fortune Tellers May be Taxed Under New Romanian Labor Laws

5) John Edwards Pays $30 to Register Edwards2016.com Just in Case

6) Zombie for Garden? SkyMall Has It

7) Slurpee Summit for Obama, Boehner?

8) Unemployed Dad Channels All Energy into Creating, Running Haunted House

9) National Dating Standards Lowered

10) Ratko Mladic’s Lawyers Bargain Genocide Charges Down to 8,000 Counts of Manslaughter

11) Betty White's New Show: Punking Young Folk

12) Overheard: Your braaaiins on Zombies

13) Obama's Aunt Sends Him Article Mentioning United States

14) Detective Trying to Get Into Mind of Litterer

15) Norwegian Boy Fends off Wolves with Creed Song

16) Where Do Pets Go After They Die?

17) GoDaddy Chief Defends Elephant Kill

18) Jay Cutler Proves Naysayers Wrong by Defeating Worst Team Ever to Make Playoffs

19) 100 Percent of College Football Players Receiving Benefits of Being College Football Players

20) All You Know about Popularity is False

1 comment:

  1. Here are the answers:
    1- CNN
    2- CNN
    3- Onion
    4- CNN
    5- Onion
    6- CNN
    7- CNN
    8- Onion
    9- Onion
    10- Onion
    11- CNN
    12- CNN
    13- Onion
    14- Onion
    15- CNN
    16- CNN
    17- CNN
    18- Onion
    19- Onion
    20- CNN

    ReplyDelete