Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ebenezer Coffeehouse & Banana Cafe

I was bored this Saturday afternoon and decided that I should take advantage of the cheaper metro fare and free parking to go explore more of DC. Since I woke up later than I had intended, I didn't go to any museums like I probably should have. Instead, I googled 'cool DC coffee shops' and found Ebenezers Coffeehouse on the corner of F and 2nd Street near Union Station. A church recently renovated the building here in 2006, and this church uses all profits for community outreach programs around Capitol Hill. Since this can be a rough neighborhood, I was impressed. There are several free events here such as ballroom dance lessons and concerts. The atmosphere was very hip and trendy, and I will definitely go back another time.

Lights on Union Station
on my walk to the coffeehouse.

Ebenezers Coffeehouse.

Inside the coffeehouse.
I love the street signs.

After reading at the coffeehouse for about an hour or so, a friend of mine from Centreville came into the city to have dinner with me around the Eastern Market metro station. It actually took him a long time to get into town because the Orange metro line was having major delays this weekend. We walked back and forth around Barracks Row looking at all the different restaurants. We'll have to come back to this street more often because there are too many places to try. I suggested we try Banana Cafe because a St Andrews friend told me to put it on my DC bucket list. There's apparently a piano bar upstairs, but we ate outside since the spring weather was so nice. I'm not used to this type of cool and pleasant weather because Mississippi doesn't really have much of a spring. This restaurant served a lot of Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes, but it also had a lot of Cuban food. I just ordered a plain beef burrito, and I was incredibly impressed with how good it was. I half-expected cheap beef inside the burrito since it was one of the cheaper items on the menu, but it had roasted pulled-beef that was delicious. The salsa was also pretty good. Again, this is a place I would go back to. I'd like to try the piano bar one night.

Entrance to Banana Cafe.

Outside seating at Banana Cafe on Barracks Row.

1 comment:

  1. Melton! These pictures are awesome! You have such an ability to capture a story with every photo!

    ReplyDelete