Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ringing in the New Year by interpreting Swedish assembly instructions

Since her old desk and shelves weren't big enough to handle all of her computer and camera equipment for her growing photography business, my sister wanted to buy a new desk and cabinets for her office. Thus, we all went to Ikea in Houston on New Year's Eve. I've never been to an Ikea, and there was a bunch of cool furniture I could buy when I finally get a job and a place of my own. Then again, all the assembly required after buying Ikea furniture may cause me to be happy with whatever furniture I already have once I get settled into one place. Since she asked nicely, I built the desk, cabinets, and tv stand once we got back from Ikea. It reminded me of Legos. I loved Legos when I was a kid, and my future kids will learn to love Legos, whether they like it or not. Maybe I can convince Elizabeth to play Legos with me when she gets old enough. However, I didn't quite understand the Ikea instructions as I built the tv stand. I accidently switched the front and rear pieces and didn't realize this until I was almost finished building it. I had to undo several pieces and rebuild the stand again. Once I made this mistake, I figured out how to read the Ikea instructions so that the desk and cabinets were a bit easier.

Different parts of the desk before I
put them all together.

The underbelly of the desk after I screwed
everything into place and before we
flipped it over and slid it into place.

My sister's new office after I built the cabinets.
In order to hang them, my brother-in-law's dad
came over and helped screw planks of wood inside
the cabinets so that we could screw them into the studs.

While in Houston with my sister and brother-in-law, I noticed that my niece was starting to say people's names. For instance, she has begun to say 'grandma,' or something similar, for my mom. One of my sister's friends has taught Elizabeth to call her 'favorite,' which is kinda cool. However, my niece still doesn't call me 'Mark.' I decided to teach her this word so that she might call me this before I left. She was able to say it after I said it, but she wouldn't say it unless I said it first. Maybe in a few months she'll be able to say more than she does now.

Elizabeth playing with a fire truck.

Is this enough toys?

Phoebe waiting outside.

Yours truly trying to teach Elizabeth to say 'Mark.'

2 comments:

  1. You do realize she is saying "say Mark"!! And what was she scared of that she took off running?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She dropped the cow onto the floor and ran away after hearing the loud noise.

    ReplyDelete