Monday, September 5, 2011

Fantasy Draft 2011: Why didn't I watch more Sports Center?

New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker (83) beats Miami Dolphins
defensive back Benny Sapp (27) for a touchdown during the second half
on Monday, September 12, 2011, in Miami.

Ah, September, the time of the year that fantasy football season starts back up- and I can stop pretending that I care about baseball.

I was afraid that I wouldn't be in any fantasy leagues this year. A lot of my friends have gotten married or are about to be married, and some of them seemed to be a tad bit too busy with their 'husbandly' duties to call or write me back whenever I tried to get the league together. But I'm unemployed and don't have a life (except for reading The Economist and applying to a few more jobs each day), so I needed them to get it together so that watching football day Sunday and Monday night has greater meaning.

Finally, after a number of phone calls and texts, the leagues came together at the last minute. I wanted to be in at least two leagues so that maybe one of my teams would do well. As it turns out, I'm now in three leagues, including two with the married or soon-to-be married fellows. My other leagues is with family members and friends from St Andrews. I'd still like to dominate in all three and run the tables.

During one of my drafts, I made a critical and embarrassing mistake. During the preseason games, I kept an eye out to see what the Colts did for QB. An announcer had said Indianapolis hadn't brought in an experienced player to replace the Peyton Manning's green backups, so surely the Colts thought Peyton would play this season. The night of the draft, I didn't bother to recheck my sources and thought everything was the same. Around the fourth of fifth round of the draft, I decided to draft Manning instead of Romo because I figured that Romo was more unreliable than Manning. My friends then mocked me for picking Manning. I was confused. I checked the latest news and found out that two hours before the draft started reports had come out that Manning would in fact not start in Week 1 and my need more surgery. If I had spent at least 30 minutes that day watching Sports Center, I would have known better. My #2 QB is Joe Flacco and my #3 is Colt McCoy. Hopefully, they can get me through the season.

On the bright side, I did draft Wes Welker as one of my WRs. He seems like an ok choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment