Monday, July 25, 2011

Here's a first- booze at a wedding

Seriously, though, I had never been to a wedding reception that served alcohol until Jack and Dea's wedding. Perhaps that's because most of the weddings I've been to have been the weddings for conservative Southern Baptists who didn't want to upset the deacons, elders, and grandparents. Even better than having alcohol, this reception had Amber Bock, one of my favorite American beers. I almost half expected there to be only light beers. After I got my first beer, one of my friends at the table asked, "Was it free?" "I don't know. I didn't stand around the bar long enough to find out whether or not the waitress expected me to pay." She didn't. It was free. I was excited.

Actually, now that I think about it, my cousin's wedding a couple years ago served alcohol. That's the only other example I can think of. I guess this is still the first Baptist wedding reception I'd attended that served alcohol. I really don't feel like rewriting this post and coming up with another title, though.

This wedding is the first time I've been able to attend a friend's wedding since graduating from undergrad (unless you count Kate and Branson's wedding in Scotland, but that wasn't their official wedding). After Mississippi College, every time a friend got married I was usually out of the country. I wasn't expecting to attend Jack's wedding because I was in DC and still couldn't get any work so that I could afford (and justify spending money on) flying back to Jackson for the weekend. As it turned out, I decided to give up on DC (more or less) and leave just before the wedding so that I could make it to the shindig just in time. I wish I had gainful employment, but it was nice to have the time to attend a friend's wedding.

The groom and yours truly.

The bride and groom dancing.


No comments:

Post a Comment