Friday, February 4, 2011

Celebrating the birthday with night photography at Lincoln's "temple"

For my birthday my aunt and uncle took me into DC to have dinner at Capital City Brewing Company, where they gave me a 'terrible towel' I could twirl during the Super Bowl. Afterwards, we took the short drive to the Lincoln Memorial so that my uncle and I could do some photography. Unlike my previous trips into DC at night, I brought my tripod with me so that I could take better photographs with longer exposures. This allowed me to shoot at an ISO of 200 instead of 800 so that I could get more detail in the photos. Of course, one of my favorite hobbies is photography, so it was pretty cool to photograph this monument, even if other tourists kept stepping in front of my camera.


I stood for quite a while trying to get a photograph
of the whole monument because people kept standing
directly in front of Lincoln. They probably had no
idea that I was waiting for them to move.


In this photograph I gave up waiting for the people
to step out of my view of Lincoln. Instead, I
went ahead and made them part of my composition.


View of the Mall with the Lincoln Memorial's columns.




During Christmas my brother-in-law was baffled that I had been to DC but hadn't been to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Of course, I've been looking for work in DC and haven't been doing a lot of sight-seeing. I can't apply to 200+ jobs unless I'm dedicating most of my time to writing cover letters and finding new job postings. Still, because he had been so insistent that I see this Memorial, I took the short walk along the Mall so that I could at least say I've been there. I'm actually surprised that my photographs here turned out so well since there was so little light I could use. Some of my photographs needed 20 to 30 second exposures.

[Images Deleted: see http://peregrinatorphoto.blogspot.com/]

No comments:

Post a Comment