
The night before my 17 hour drive from Jackson, MS to Washington, DC, I was walking through a Barnes and Noble with a friend and thought that I needed to buy something for the drive. My sister had mentioned multiple times that she listened to audio books while driving back and forth from Texas to Mississippi, so I thought I'd give it a go. I haven't heard an audio book in years, and I honestly wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it or not. After going through the selection multiple times, I bought Oliver Twist, performed by Flo Gibson. I thought that it was the best value for the money because I could 'read' a classic book I had never read, and it was just long enough for my drive to DC. I almost bought Earth by Jon Stewart, but I decided it wouldn't be long enough.
As fate would have it, I would only finish half of the CDs on my drive to northern Virginia. Aw, shucks. I couldn't handle listening to it the whole time I was driving. Every couple of hours I would have to switch to a random music CD that has been in my car since undergrad. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I burned some of these old CDs. Some of them are great. Others just suck, especially since I don't listen to rap music anymore. Anyways, I did enjoy listening to the story, and it helped pass the time on this very long road trip. However, Flo Gibson has a very odd voice when she reads what the characters say. Quite frankly, I don't like it. All of the women, even if they're 17 years old, sound like they're ancient and on the edge of death with shaky, passive voices. I've never heard anyone talk like this. The men all sound condescending. Oliver Twist sounds like a wuss, like he's about to wet himself at any moment. I almost want him to get arrested so that someone will shut him up. Still, I look forward to finishing the book on my next long road trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment